Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home
Calum's Cup Current Match Report
Whitburn overcome Musselburgh to lift a trophy

Saturday 8 June, Calder's East of Scotland Cup final

Musselburgh 1-2 Whitburn

Line up : 1 Walker, 2 Clouston, 3 Milne, 4 Campbell, 5 Gilmour,
6 Ramage, 7 Hannah , 8 Haddow, 9 Gallacher(Campbell) , 10 McGlynn (Coulter) and 11 Taylor

In contrast with the dreich weather at Whitburn, today's game was played in sunshine. Whitburn started favourites but this was Musselburgh's last game and they often give Whitburn a hard game.

Gilmour poised

Despite this, the first half was dominated by the West Lothian team but they could not convert this into goals. The first chance came in 8 minutes when a long Milne free was knocked down by Gallacher to McGlynn but he hit his shot wide. Gilmour had the next wide effort 4 minutes later after good pressure on the opposition goal. In the 20th minute Haddow fired wide following a long ball. Midway through the half a short free kick was well worked to Gilmour but again the effort went wide. Campbell forced the first save with a well struck free kick from 35 yards on the half hour.

In 34 minutes a corner found McGlynn on the near post but he couldn't force home. Campbell again had a 35 yard shot saved, from open play this time, in the 36th minute. A minute later McGlynn turned well in the box and fired in a great goal bound shot but a defender blocked it and saved a certain goal. With 3 minutes to go Milne slipped and this let in a Musselburgh player who seemed to be tripped by last man Walker in the box but the referee booked him for diving.

Within a minute of the restart Musselburgh had a great chance to steal the lead as Porteous chased a long ball and chipped it over the advancing Walker only to see Campbell clear off the line. Thereafter normal service was resumed as Whitburn laid seige to the Burgh defence. The deadlock was broken in the 50th minute when a cross was fumbled by the keeper and eventually found its way to Clouston on the edge of the box and he coolly shot home. With all the football coming from Whitburn they went two up 15 minutes later when Gilmour bundled home a Haddow cross after good work. With 18 minutes to go Campbell came on for Gallacher. Shortly afterwards McGlynn acrobatically shot in a Ramage cross but it went wide.

With 14 minutes to go and with their heads down as if resignd to defeat the Musselburgh sub threw them a lifeline with a chip over Walker after a long ball. Haddow being sent of shortly afterwards meant an exciting end to the match (for the neutral!). However despite this the Whitburn defence held out well for the deserved victory and indeed they came closer to scoring through Gilmour and Ramage.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home