Central Park, which came into being in the early 30's, was rented to the new Whitburn Football Club by Sir Adrian' Baillie for £8 per annum. The ground was eventually sold to them for under £100 when the Baillie Estate was broken up.
The original dressing rooms were donated by the Miners Welfare Committee and Sir Adrian Baillie donated a pay box for the entrance to the ground.
The pavilion was reconstructed in August 1945 and the following year the newly reconstituted supporters club employed two groundsmen during the summer to maintain the park and install showers and toilets in the dressing rooms.
When the terracing was being built up, a whisky bottle marked with the date was buried under the top step on the right as you enter the ground. It would appear that it was thirsty work as the committee drank the contents before burying the bottle!
When in 1946 the Town Council granted permission for the erection of the present enclosure the plans also included building a grandstand. The supporters club donated £500 towards the cost of the shelter in 1947.
The record gate at Central Park is 5600 for a 4th Round Scottish Cup Tie -v- Annbank United in December 1947 which was won 2-1. The gate receipts totalled £146.
The following photograph shows the ground today looking eastwards
Central Park, the home of Whitburn Juniors
Scottish Junior Cup |