Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home


Saturday 15 August

Dunbar United 2-1 (2-0 HT) Whitburn Juniors

Dunbar : Johnstone, Hill, Burstow, Thomson, Common, Colquhoun, K Tait, S Tait, Young(Ballantyne 80), Handling(Kean 88), Grant, Subs: Cochrane, Cowan, Taylor
Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, McQueenie, Skinner, Porteous, Moyes, Taylor(Trialist 80), Trialist(Adams 61), Martin(Trialist 65), Russell, Gunn, Subs: Trialist, Trialist, Hubbocks

Very little of much note actually happened in the first half though it felt that Dunbar had dominated with Whitburn seemingly unable to pass the ball correctly. What did happen were two goals from Dunbar and a near miss from Whitburn with neither keeper troubled greatly apart from this. And yet, it was a thoroughly entertaining half - especially if you were a home supporter. Steven Tait got them off to a dream start within 80 seconds when a glancing header of a Shaun Hill right wing cross glanced in off the far post. Not long after a Whitburn player (not sure who) got on the end of a great corner but his shot hit a defender and glanced off the outside of the post for another corner. On the half hour a through ball found Darren Handling one on one with a Burnie defender whose tackle was weak and he drove the ball past Dougie Horne to double the lead.

The second half was much better from Whitburn who started to play a little and Dewi taylor was fouled in the box in the 52nd minute and Martin Russell put the ball straight down the middle with John Johnstone diving to his right. Dunbar then went through a bad spell as Whitburn pressed but, like the first half to little avail until 26 minutes in Johnstone was forced to push over a dangerous Jack Hamilton free kick. From another corner a little later Dunbar broke out and the move ended in a Handling shot being saved by Horne. Horne to the rescue again from a similar break with the keeper's legs denying Sam Young's low drive. With 7 minutes to go Taylor put in Russell wide on the left but his good shot was cleared off the line with Johnstone comprehensively beaten. After a couple of dangerous Whitburn corners that were narrowly missed by the attackers, Dunbar again took advantage but sub Dean Ballantyne was thwarted by the third Horne save. The final 5 minutes was all Whitburn but they just could not get the right touch on the ball to earn the equaliser.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home