Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home


Saturday 12 March

Kirkcaldy YM 1-2 (HT: 1-1) Whitburn Juniors

Kirkcaldy: McKinnon, McNeish(McManus 74), Arthur, Doubleday, Ogden(Ormiston 45), Byrne, Johnston, Rennie, Geddes(Paylor 77), Keatings, Binnington, Subs: Coutts, Garvie

Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, Hogarth, Skinner, Porteous, Adams(Wilson 60), Taylor, Martin, K Russell, Brass, Bain, Subs: Moyes, M Russell, Gunn, Hubbocks

Whitburn totally dominated the opening 8 minutes of this game and it looked like it would only be a matter of time before they scored and yet Kircaldy opened the scoring. From a Whitburn corner they broke out rapidly down the right and the winger's cross found Calum Geddes unmarked in the box and he slammed the ball past Dougie Horne. Minutes later Luke Binnington fired in a fierce drive from 20 yards that Horne held on to comfortably. With 15 minutes gone after a throw in Kris Russell turned well and hit a firm shot that keeper Barry McKinnon managed to touch onto the post and out for a corner. With almost half an hour gone Geddes had another chance after a slip by a Whitburn defender let him in but this time his effort struck the bar and was cleared. With 34 gone Dewi Taylor got his goal when he pounced on a rebound off McKinnon who had done well to save another Russell shot. This settled nerves but the half ended tamely, though almost on the half Ross Ogden sustained a bad knee injury after going for a fifty fifty with Brass who was unhurt.

Disaster almost struck Whitburn a minuite into the second half when a square ball gained after it should have been cleared was hit across the goal but luckily no home man could put it in. 2 miuntes later from a corner Brass backheeled the ball to James Martin at the back post but McKinnon saved well at his post. Binnington then drove through the defence and only a good save by Horne prevented him scoring. Horne then had to act as sweeper in the 50th minute when Shaun Keatings got through the defence. In between this McKinnon made a good stop from a Brass shot with Martin waiting for the rebound. What would be the winner came just on the hour from a corner that could only be cleared as far as Brass and his goalbound effort was glanced past the keeper by Adam Porteous. Again the expected onslaught om the home goal didn't come though Taylor had a good shot just wide as he got on the end of a long through ball. Later Brass attempted an overhead kick from 10 yards out but it went just over. Indeed Kirkcaldy had two good chances to equalise later on as they seemed to finish stronger. The first was thwarted by a great block from Russell Hogarth of a Keatings shot and the other in injury time was a point blank miss by sub Neil Paylor after another lightning break.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home