Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home


Saturday 17 October

Whitburn Juniors 3-2 (HT: 1-1) Easthouses Lily MW

Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, Gunn, McMeechan, Porteous, Moyes, Taylor(Trialist 53), Wilson (McGrain 74), Martin, Brass, Bain, Subs: Hogarth, Adams, Chambers
Easthouses : Combe, Mcqueenie, McManus, Campbell, Arthur, Shearer, Young, Wilson, Russell, Smith, Scott(Tainsh 65),Subs: Baigrie, McCormack, Hay

At last Whitburn were able to play a game at their home of Central Park and they took advantage to claim the three points though they were pushed the whole 90 minutes by Easthouses. It was they who got off to the dream start when, in the 4th minute a loose pass by Jack Hamilton landed at Lewis Russell's feet and he calmly slotted the ball into the net. 4 minutes later Dewi Taylor found James Martin wide on the left and he scored from a great diagonal shot but the referee ruled it out for offside. Just after Russell got in again and forced a good save from Dougie Horne. Then Taylor put Gary Brass in but the striker's effort was tame and easily held by the keeper Ross Combe. Whitburn were level on the quarter hour when a corner was headed at the near post by Brass and it hit the post then ricocheted to Steven McMeechan who, back to goal, attempted an overhead kick and it found the top corner. Gary Sheare then tried a shot from outside the box which Horne dealt with and then, on the half hour Russell headed the ball to David Scott and again Horne saved well. With 6 minutes to go Brass turned provider for Taylor but his acrobatic effort was acrobatically saved by Combe. The final action of the half saw Russell again put Scott in but Horne made another good save.

The second half was minutes old when James Martin was fouled by David Arthur in the box and Brass dispatched the penalty to the keeper's left to put Whitburn ahead. Then 8 minutes later Hamilton made amends for his earlier error when he headed in a pinpoint Aaron Gunn corner. Whitburn's trialist sub (who had replaced Taylor) chased a long ball and sent over a great cross which Brass headed narrowly over. Midway through the half a second 'goal' was disallowed this time for the visitors when a Scott shot was parried by Horne to Graeme Young who bundled the ball over the line but he was clearly offside. James Martin hit the bar in the 28th minute with a fierce drive after some good interplay between the trialist and Brass. Russell then timed two good runs to get behind the home defence and hit the net with the first, a carbon copy controlled shot like his first and the second well saved. Into a prolonged injury time another 'goal' was disallowed for Easthouses for a foul on Horne as he went up with the attacker. The final action, 6 minutes into added time saw the referee award a free kick 20 yards out on the right of the Whitburn box which required a good double save to keep out. A thoroughly nail biting finish to what had been a good game.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home