Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home



Saturday 3 October

Whitburn Juniors 2-1 (HT: 0-1) Kirkcaldy YM

Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, Gunn, McMeechan, Porteous, Moyes(Wilson 69), Walton(Adams 78), Martin, Wilson, Taylor(Brown 45), Brass, Bain, Sub: McGrain, Chambers
Kirkcaldy: McKinnon, Spence, Ormiston, Small(McManus 80), Coutts, Byrne, Robertson(Kinninmonth 82), Binnington(Kirton 87), Geddes, Rennie, Graham, Subs: Arthur, Garvie

Kirkcaldy started the game on fire and determined to take an early lead and as early as the 4th minute Sam Graham forced a good save from Dougie Horne after he got the better Aaron Gunn. The Whitburn youngster had a torrid time of it early on as Kirkcaldy were obviously trying to exploit his inexperience and the same player got in wide again shiortly afterwards and forced an even better diving save. After this, Gunn settled and his man seldom got the better of him. The quarter hour saw Gary Brass fire wide having been found by Dewi Taylor. 3 minutes later Brass spurned another chance as a Jack Hamilton cross was missed by a defender but the prolific forward opted to hit first time and it flew over. 26 minutes in and Whitburn's best move arrived with two one tows involving Taylor and Jason Walton which ended in Walton shooting but Barry McKinnon in goal saved it at the expense of a corner. Walton then robbed the last man and drove in on goal but again McKinnon managed to deflect the ball away for another corner. With 8 minutes to go Calum Geddes headed his team ahead with a header from their first corner. Walton had another good effort saved near the half and Taylor saw a shot deflected for another corner into injury time.

A bit like last week nothing much happened in the second half until the 17th minute when Brass headed a Jordan Bain corner wide. It was around this time that Whitburn fans were thinking their team wouldn't score as Kirkcaldy looked comfortable defending their lead. In the 24th minute, however, nerves were eased as a superb move ended in a goal for Lee Brown who had replaced injured Taylor at the half. Walton sent Martin wide on the right and he passed to Brass who dragged the ball past two men before finding Brown 12 yards out and his first time shot found the bottom corner. With 10 minutes to go Geddes got behind the defence and Horne's save bounced high to the edge of the box where Liall Robertson tried to find the top corner but Horne reacted well to get back and grab the ball. The last few minutes were pretty hectic as first McKinnon chased a ball wide to prevent Martin getting there and carried the ball out of the box but only recieved a yellow card. Then Walton went down awfully in a challenge and had to be replaced as he was carried off with knee ligament damage. Brass recieved a good through ball which he controlled brilliantly to beat his man but his shot went agonisingly wide of the post. Into injury time and Dean Wilson deceived his opponent with a lovely piece of trickery and was brought down. The referee correctly pointed to the spot and Brass got his 10th of the season with another sweetly hit penalty. Just after Lee Brown got through but sclaffed his shot wide from a good position - fully fit he would have burst the net.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home