Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home



Saturday 19 September

Whitburn Juniors 4-3 (2-1 HT) Tranent Juniors

Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, Moyes, Skinner, Porteous, McGrain(Wilson 51), Walton, Adams, Taylor, Brass, Martin, Subs: McMeechan, Brown, Gunn, Trialist

Tranent: Inglis, Paterson, Wojtowycz(Hunter 51), Hawkins, Gordon, Miller, M Smith(Manson 45), D Smith, Fisher, Murray, McMillan(McGrath 82), Subs: Fairgrieve, Smeaton

Whitburn were forced to play this home game at Stoneyburn as the new changing rooms are not quite ready. From the start it was clear that Whitburn were up for the visit of the league leaders as they hustled and harried the Tranent team all over the park. Gary Brass had the first chance as he took the ball round the keeper but a defender got back to clear his shot, this in the 12th minute. Just a minute later down the other end Joe Murray was upended in the box running away from goal but Dougie Horne guessed right diving to his left to save the spot kick. With 25 minutes gone Gary Brass got his first when put in and he hit his shot as the keeper advance and it hit the back of the net. A minute later Dewi Taylor headed a free kick goalwards but it hit the ground first to make the save easy. Again Tranent replied straight away through Murray who this time, back to goal, spun round but hit his shot just wide. On the half hour the teams exchanged chances again, first Horne saved well at his post when Kenneth Fisher got in following a Jamie Paterson cross then a Brass drive from 25 yards went just over. From a corner Tranent had the ball in the net but the referee spotted a foul on the keeper and disallowed it. With 10 minutes of this pulsating half left keeper Sinclair Inglis kicked the ball straight at Taylor out wide and he crossed looking for Jason Walton but a defender took it off his toe for a corner. 3 minutes later Ben Miller fired in a great shot from 25 yards that clearly moved in the air which made the save much more difficult but Horne kept it out. Tranent finally got their equaliser in the 43rd minute when a through ball found Fisher who’d evaded his marker and he coolly slotted the ball beyond Horne. Second after the centre Taylor set up Brass 25 yards out and his fierce drive flew into the net the regain the lead.

With the second half 90 seconds old Lewis Hawkins’ attempted back header to the keeper was marginally short and Brass completed his hat trick by nipping in and toe poking the ball into the goal. After this set back Tranent upped their work rate as they tried to get back in the game and sub Stephen Manson tried his luck from outside the box 10 minutes in but his powerful shot hit the bar. 3 minutes later a good move involving Paterson, Fisher and Murray saw a shot by the latter saved by Horne. Just on the hour the goal came through another good move and this time Manson scored in a similar manner to Brass’ first. Just after Dean Wilson, on for James McGrain, put Brass through but Lewis Hawkins eased him off the ball as he was about to shoot. Then Murray looked to have scored when through but Horne managed to knock his effort onto the bar and out to safety. Tranent kept up the pressure and it paid off in the 73rd minute when Miller fired a beauty into the bottom corner from the edge of the box after the ball had bounced up in front of him. After all of this effort Tranent seemed to ease off a little and Whitburn got back into the game and there were no more real chances until the 87th minute. In that fateful minute (for Tranent) Whitburn won a corner which ended up bobbling at the back post and eventually came off a defender to give the home side all three points. In all honesty a draw would probably have been the fairest result, but Whitburn have suffered so often in the past from similar reversals that they were happy to get the maximum which brings them right back into contention.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home