Logo Winners logo
History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home


Saturday 10 October

Whitburn Juniors 2-4 (HT: 0-3) Tranent

Whitburn: Horne, Hamilton, Gunn, McMeechan, Moyes, Wilson, Taylor, Adams, Brown(McGrain 74), Brass, Martin, Subs: Chambers
Tranent : Inglis, Paterson, Wojtowycz, Gordon, McKenzie, Smith, Manson(Beaton 64), Hawkins, McMillan(McGrath 86), Murray(M Smith 73), Fisher,Subs: Hunter, Smeaton

Another home game played away from home, this time at West Calder, as the nightmare of the dressing room issue continues (hopefully not for too much long!). The visitors this time were Tranent who were no doubt eager to avenge the league defeat they suffered at Stoneyburn but this one was in the Fife and Lothians Cup. Whitburn’s team was much weakened than on that day a few weeks ago and it showed as Tranent were the better team in that first half and yet they didn’t really trouble Whitburn much in open play. Rather it was corners that caused the problem – three times. Given that Whitburn’s defence was lacking three starters, it was hardly surprising that this might be the case. In the 10th minute Ryan McKenzie headed in at the back post and 20 minutes later Kenneth McMillan repeated the feat from the centre of the goal this time from a short corner. The trio of corner goals came in the 33rd minute when the deep corner was met wide left by Kenneth Fisher and he shot the ball through the ruck of players and beyond the reach of Dougie Horne. Whitburn’s lone chance came between the 1st and 2nd goal and was a side footed effort by James Martin which was easily saved.

Whitburn came out of the traps in the second half and within 5 minutes had got a goal back through a good Dewi Taylor shot after Lee Brown and Gary Brass had combined to set him up. Amazingly 7 minutes later the gap was one as a great run by Brass saw him beat several players before finding Dean Wilson on the edge of the box and his shot went in off the post. A minute later Fisher replied for Tranent shooting from a tight angle but the shot went wide. An amazing come back was almost achieved on the hour when Lee Brown hit a marvellous free kick from 25 yards but it hit the bar with keeper Sinclair Inglis beaten. McMillan should have scored just 3 minutes later when free in front of goal and found by a Lewis Hawkins cross but he blazed the ball over the bar. The fourth goal  would come just after from sub Jamie Beaton from a similar spot and he simply tapped the ball in. Midway through the half a header from Brass found Taylor rushing in on goal and he attempted a chip but it wasn’t high enough to clear Inglis. Brass was in next but one of his touches was very heavy and he lost control allowing Inglis to collect the ball. Neither keeper was challenged subsequent to this and Tranent were through to the next round.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home