History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home

Thorntons Property League Cup

Saturday 1 December

Armadale Thistle 0-0(HT: 0-0) Whitburn Juniors

Armadale: Paterson, C Rodger, Hislop, Doyle, Leiper, Horn, Kane, Collumbine(Slessor 72), Robertson, Hay(Allison 80), W Rodger, Subs: Tierney, Maclachlan, Keir
Whitburn: Wilson, Griffin, Boyle, Hamilton, Forrest, Nicol, R Gunn(G Gunn 78), Henderson, Liddell, McQuillan(Taylor 56), Duncan(Brass 78) Subs: Tinning, Russell

After all the rain of the previous 3 days it was almost a miracle that this game went on and the surface looked very soft on top. Consequently the fact that both teams put on such an entertaining game was also a bit of a miracle. Whitburn started the brighter of the two as, in the third minute, John- James Henderson got beyond the home defence but Dale keeper, Jamie Swinburn parried his shot. 2 minutes later Andy McQuillan put in Darren Liddell but again his shot was saved. McQuillan himself drove in on goal a few minutes later and fired in a shot which again Swinburn was equal to. Just before Willie Rodger forced a save from Andrew Wilson in the visiting goal - which was the only shot on target for his side in the first half. With 17 minutes gone Liddell was again through, this time courtesy of Henderson, but he totally fluffed his shot. Liddell did better 2 minutes later from 25 yards but his shot was pushed round the post. Reece Duncan on the half hour tried a shot form a similar distance and this time Swinburn acrobatically dived to his right to deny him.

Three minutes into the second half Andy McQuillan drove in from the right and attempted a shot from a tight angle but again Swinburn kept it out. 8 minutes later Liddell played the ball to McQuillan who found Henderson and he set up Ross Gunn but his shot was blocked. In the 63rd minute Duncan had another good long range effort which Swinburn slightly fumbled but he got to the ball before Dewi Taylor (on for McQuillan) could pounce. From a corner 1 minute later Paul Doyle headed over. Just after Gary Brass (on for Duncan) hit the wall with a free kick and then with 10 minutes to go he headed over a cross from the right. The final minutes saw Brass feed Henderson but the shot was saved, Colin Leiper head over another corner and Taylor almost squeeze in a winner at the near post. In the end a draw was probably the correct result based on the balance of play even though Whitburn edged the game on good chances.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home