History Honours League Table Links Match reports Results Scottish Junior Cup Squad Home

V Tech SMT Ltd Fife and Lothians Cup

Saturday 13 October

Whitburn Juniors 1-2(HT: 0-1) Kennoway

Whitburn: D Russell, Thomson, Duncan, Griffin, Hamilton, Boyle, M Russell, Nicol, Liddell(Brass 59), Henderson(G Gunn 79), R Gunn(McQuillan 59), Subs: Forrest, Doherty, Wilsdon
Kennoway: Paterson, Mair, Johnstone, Bremner, Doig, Brewster, Young, L Rolland, Muir, Collins(Bryce 49), Band(B Rolland 76), Subs: Watson, Muir, Lindsay

Whitburn kept the same side that so easily defeated Tayport last week, with Gary Brass and Andy McQuillan relegated to the substitutes bench. Conditions, though, were not as favourable as it had poured for much of the previous 24 hours and it looked likely to continue throughout the game - the game was never in doubt as the pitch passed an inspection. The early going wa splayed out mostly in midfied but it was Kennoway who drew first blood when unmarked centre half Nathan Doig headed in a Craig Johnstone right wing corner in the 10th minute. 3 minutes later a superb Reece Duncan left wing cross was narrowly missed by Ross Gunn at the back post. Midway through the half after a corner was initially defended the ball came to Martin Russell who looped in a cross which Darren Liddell managed to head over from under the bar. With 25 minutes gone a great chance fell to Scott Young wide on the right but Daniel Russell saved well. Just before the interval Liddell got behind the Kennoway defence thanks to a great through ball but his shot went narrowly wide (though it did seem to get a touch from the keeper).

The second half saw Whitburn continue to attack and within 8 minutes Liddell had been thwarted by a Kennoway block which sent his shot wide of goal. 2 minutes later some great interplay between Liddell and John-James Henderson ended with the ball at Martin Russell's feet but he hit his shot way to early and Robbie Paterson made an easy save. The keeper was forced to come off his line a minute later to block a shot from an on rushing Liddell. Up the other end a similar incident happened between Daniel Russell and Dylan Muir, the latter seeming to get injured. Just after sub Lee Bryce made space for a shot but it was deflected wide. Just before the hour manager Jason Bolam put on Gary Brass and Andy McQuillan and the former almost made a dream start but he headed a Henderson corner just over. McQuillan, on the wing in the 21st minute, then set up Andy Thompson who hit a great shot which was well saved. Disaster almost struck 70 minutes in when a terrible pass out of defence found Muir who shot from 30 yards but Russell dived to his left to get the ball round the post. Disaster did strike with 6 minutes to go when Bryce got on the end of a raking right wing cross to slam the ball (and himself) into the net. McQuillan was bundled off the ball in the box with 2 to go and Duncan hit a perfect penalty to give his side hope. In added time as an attack developed, Martin Russell went to ground just inside the Kennoway half but the referee didn't appear to see what happened and the attack came to naught. The Whitburn man tried to remonstrate with the ref and, as he had been previously yellow carded, was sent off to add to Whitburn's misery.

History | Honours | League | Links | Reports | Results | Scottish Junior Cup | Squad | Home