The 1995 Scottish Junior Cup Final

This was the team's second final appearance and they were playing fellow East Region team, Camelon Juniors. Both teams were also aiming for the East Region League to complete a rare Junior double.

The squads on the day were

Robert BurnsAlan Banner
Bruce CloustonGary Smith
Colin GrantDerek Haston
Gordon BelcherGeorge Fairley
Steve PriorJim Ellis
Keith JardineRonnie Scott
John WilkinsonChristie McKenzie
Mick McAvoySean Bonnar
David ScottAllen McGonigal
Steve RichardsonDavid Flynn
Paul TaylorBrian Kemp
Steve McIlhonePaul McLaren
Steven FinlayGraeme Wood
Carlo CrollaGary Hemmingway
Billy McPheeScott Henry
Keith McManusPeter McArthur

The Route to the final

2Tulliallan Thistle(h)4 - 4McIlhone, Richardson,Scott, McNaughton
2 ReplayTulliallan Thistle(a)1 - 0Wilkinson
3Stonehouse Violet(a)4 - 0Ferguson, Scott(2), Taylor
4Linlithgow Rose(a)2 - 2Jardine, Scott
4 ReplayLinlithgow Rose(h)1 - 0Prior
5Dalry Thistle(a)2 - 0McAvoy, McIlhone
QuarterTayport(a)2 - 0Jardine, Taylor
SemiGlenafton3 - 1Jardine(2), Taylor
FinalCamelon Juniors0 - 2

This was an interesting campaign for a number of reasons and the above results hide much drama......

In the second round the unfancied Tulliallan arrived at Central park with a very poor record in the Fife league and held the local team to an amazing 4 all draw. The replay which most of the Whitburn support thought would be a formality, was won by a single goal. A reminder to all how cup football can throw up surprises and upset the form book.

The tie at Dalry was one of the most unusual in recent times since Dalry were reduced to 7 men after an hour's play, all 4 being sent off. The match was abandoned as a result and Whitburn were awarded the tie. On the day the Dalry players were really fired up, but on this occasion just a little too fired up!

The Semi Final was played at Love Street in Paisley in front of a massive crowd against a very strong Glenafton team aiming for a fourth final in a row. Whitburn had always struggled against the best Ayrshire teams and were the underdogs on the night. They went on to produce one of their finest ever displays and defeated the Glens 3-1. Many felt, in retrospect, that this was their final.

The final itself took place on Sunday 21 May at Fir Park in Motherwell.

The team seemed to freeze on the Fir Park turf and never recovered from a freak Camelon goal where a Burns throw out was volleyed into the net. In normal circumstances it would probably have ballooned over the bar - this time, though it found the net. Mention must also be made of the Camelon winger, McKenzie who tore Whitburn apart with his pace and trickery.

I am looking for a report of the match from the press, if anyone can oblige could they please contact me.

As a footnote to this game, a couple of days later Camelon arrived at Central Park for the league decider. They needed a draw, whereas a victory was required by the home team. Camelon duly won the game and completed a memorable League and cup double. They made the final the following year but were defeated by Tayport.